The project provides emerging musicians with invaluable skills and professional experience that complement their formal training, and can help them boost their career at the international level.
The vision of the EPIC project is to:
- Prove the value and impact of auditioned youth music ensembles for the professionalisation and internationalisation of careers
- Improve the training of emerging professional
- Foster the creation of new ensembles across Europe
Learn more about the project
EPIC will test and validate new approaches that could be eventually disseminated and implemented at a larger scale, to benefit the mobility of artists in Europe over a generation.
This project is supported by an action plan articulating five main lines:
- A data collection, mapping the career path of former members of auditioned youth ensembles (orchestras and choirs)
- An involvement of the EuroChoir and the World Youth Choir as laboratories for providing new skills through capacity building, active networking with stakeholders and with peers
- The networking of existing and potential National Youth Choirs’ organisers, to exchange best practices and cooperation opportunities. We’ll set up specific ateliers gathering the singers themselves in an international context
- Online capacity building sessions for emerging artists
- Dissemination of the results along events gathering relevant stakeholders.
Collective music making is a powerful tool to bring people and nations together.
As Europeans, we have a duty to foster the circulation of the next generation of artists in a sustainable, systemic way.
The EPIC project is a first milestone along this promising path.
The project runs from 1 November 2019 to 31 December 2021.
You will find below a simplified timeline of the activities foreseen:
|1 Nov. 19||Official start of the project|
|Nov-19||Project Meeting 1||Slovenia|
|Nov. 2019 to Dec. 21||Data Collection on the career paths of alumni of ensembles||Europe and beyond|
|April/May 20||Online capacity building on professionalisation||online|
|24 Jul to 4 Aug 20||EuroChoir session in Ireland||Ireland|
|30 Jul to 8 Aug 20||BTHVN 2020: Rehearsal session and first Concert of the World Youth Choir and German Federal Youth Orchestra (Bundesjugendorchester).|
Marketplace meeting with decision makers
|Nov-20||Project Meeting 2||Ireland|
|Nov-20||Round Table of National Youth Choirs||Ireland|
|Nov-20||Online capacity building on professionalisation||online|
|April/May 21||JM Global Conference||Spain|
|Jul-21||EuroChoir in Switzerland||Switzerland|
|Jul-21||EuroChoir in EUROPA CANTAT festival||Slovenia|
|Jul-21||EUROPA CANTAT: Ateliers for the National Youth Choirs||Slovenia|
|Jul-21||EUROPA CANTAT: Conductors and Composers Programme||Slovenia|
|Jul-21||EUROPA CANTAT: Marketplace and presentation of first results of data collection||Slovenia|
|Jul-21||EUROPA CANTAT: Round Table of National Youth Choirs||Slovenia|
|Jul-21||EUROPA CANTAT: Project meeting 3||Slovenia|
|Autumn 21||Publication of result of data collection||Online|
|Autumn 21||Survey of the participants||Online|
|31 dec. 21||End of project|
|2025||Survey on the career development of the participants of the project|
The project is coordinated by the European Choral Association in partnership with:
- World Youth Choir foundation
- German Federal Youth Orchestra (Bundesjugendorchester)
- Schweizerische Föderation Europa Cantat (SFEC)
- EFNYO: European Federation of National Youth Orchestras
- EBU European Broadcasting Union for radio journalists
- Members of the European Choral Association
- Members of the JM International network