Training Leading Voices
The European Choral Association – Europa Cantat is a partner in the Training Leading Voices project, led by ZIMIHC.
The project seeks to contribute to the professionalisation of vocal and choral leaders in Europe and the internationalisation of their careers through events in France, Italy, Slovenia and the Netherlands, centring on “Leading Voices“, a new major European event for vocal and choral leaders in Utrecht in July 2022.
The Training Leading Voices project also seeks to inspire organisations in the process of, or contemplating, organising their own events for vocal and choral leaders.
Learn more about the project
Events in France, Italy, Slovenia and the Netherlands will welcome vocal and choral leaders of diverse levels of experience and fields of practice as participants, including:
- students (studying school music, church music or choral conducting)
- educators dealing with singing in schools or music schools
- freelancers who lead choirs and vocal groups of all kinds of styles
- employed vocal and choral leaders
- those who learned another profession and lead choirs in their free time, conducting amateur singers or professional singers, coming from up to 40 different countries.
The project consists of a series of training events with an international dimension:
- conductors’ competitions
- study tours allowing vocal and choral leaders to watch their peers at work
- conferences and training programmes with practical workshops
- laboratories to test innovative approaches
- concerts and performances of exemplary groups of a high artistic standard or demonstrating specific methods and approaches.
Some grants will also be made available for the internationalisation of other conductors’ events.
Project activities will be planned at the following events:
- Choral Connection | Lille – Bordeaux – Lyon, France | 10 October 2020
- International Competition for Choral Conductors | Turin, Italy | 25-27 June 2021
- PULSE – Europa Cantat Festival Programme for Vocal and Choral Leaders, Creators and Educators | Ljubljana, Slovenia | 16-25 July 2021
- European Academy for Young Conductors | Fano, Italy | 29 August – 5 September 2021
- (Inter)National Congress for Choral Conductors | Paris, France | 10-12 September 2021
- Study Tour at Choralies | Vaison-la-Romaine, France | August 2022
- Leading Voices 2022 | Utrecht, Netherlands | 27- 31 July 2022
- International Competition for Choral Conductors | Turin, Italy | 27-29 October 2022
- Conference at ECA-EC General Assembly for Dissemination and Discussion of Results of Project | November 2022
- Association Européenne des Conservatoires, Académies de Musique et Musikhochschulen (AEC)
- The European Network for Professional Chamber Choirs (TENSO)
- European Association for Music in Schools (EAS)
- International Federation for Choral Music (IFCM)
- Other members of the European Choral Association – Europa Canta