Vaison-la-Romaine, France | 1 – 9 August 2019
Organisers: À Coeur Joie France in cooperation with the European Choral Association
EuroChoir is a special choir project to promote the networking of talented young singers at the European level, and to foster the emergence of the next generation of talents.
Organised every year in a different country, EuroChoir offers the opportunity to young singers to get together to rehearse a challenging program with renowned conductors, improve their vocal skills and present the results of their work in public concerts.
For the years 2019 to 2021, we designed a cycle under the direction of one of the emerging talent of the European scene, Yuval Weinberg. The sessions should take place in France, Ireland and finally Switzerland.
To kick-start the three years cycle a “lighter” session is organised in 2019 during Choralies.
The program will be of course demanding for singers who liked to be challenged, but adapted to the shorter rehearsal time. With more free time, the singers will have a change to enjoy the festival, the French “art de vivre”, get to know each other ana maybe decide to apply again for the next edition in Ireland.
Some first ideas about the repertoire developped over the next cycle (subject to change!)
- Thomas Jennefelt: Warning to the rich
- K. A. Arnesen: Even when he is silent
- Pärt Uusberg: For Katrina’s sun-dial
- An old Hbrew hymn
- Folke Rabe: Rondes
- Max Reger: from Acht geistliche Gesänge: Der Mensch lebt und besteht, Nachtlied and others.
- And other pieces by Johannes Brahms, Murray Schafer, Matthew Harris.
Who can apply?
Young singers between 18 and 30 years old, good sight readers ready to prepare scores in advance.
English will be the working language
Price and conditions
The EuroChoir 2019 will be a special edition, hosted as a special atelier of the Choralies festival 2019. The work schedule will be less intensive than usual EuroChoir session, leaving more free time to enjoy the festival in the beautiful city of Vaison La Romaine.
Check the website of the Choralies festival: https://choralies.fr/en/
The selected singers will be welcomed as normal participants of the festival, under the normal conditions for youth:
- Arrival 1 august 2019 – departure 10 August 2019
- Work sessions in the morning 09:00 to 12:00
- Participation to the night of choirs
- A concert on the 8th
- Collective accomodation in collective tents on the campground of the festival
- Meals with the participants
- Access to other activities and concerts in the theatre antique.
The normal participation fee of the festival applies: 380€
You can apply for a scholarship of the Noel Minet Fund.
How to Apply?
For this special edition, where we plan to have between 60 and max. 80 singers, we ask the candidates to
1) Fill in the aplication form before the end of February 2019.
- an audio recording of the bars 1-26 (with dynamics) of Max Reger, Nachtlied [Score available here for free]
- an audio recording of scales (your singing range) using different vowels
- a photo
- [optional] letters of support by organisation(s)
- [optional] letters of support by conductor(s) or teacher(s)
Please clearly name your files with LastName_FirstName_filecontent (ex: Weinberg_Yuval_scales.mp3).
The singers will be selected in early spring and informed right away.